Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

FIAT Forever! Your homepage for everything FIAT, FIAT 500, and Abarth.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Article
  1. How to change a tire

1 Comments by David Published on 02-13-2012 12:00 PM

Practise changing your tire in light, dry conditions, so when it’s dark and raining and your tyre goes you’ll know exactly what to do. But even if you can do it with your eyes shut, please don’t change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway – it’s too dangerous. We also wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself if your car is on an incline, a steeply cambered road or soft ground.

step one

Switch off the engine and turn your hazard lights on. Then apply the handbrake and put the car in first gear.

step two

Put the chock behind the wheel that’s diagonally opposite the one you need to change.

step three

Put the spare wheel on the ground next to the one you’re changing, and then remove any cover or hub cap.

step four

Locate your car’s jacking point. It varies for every model so we recommend you refer to your car’s handbook. On some models, like the Grande Punto, there is a downward-facing arrow on the sill indicating the jacking point, but this can often be hidden by dirt or side skirts.

step five

Position the jack at the correct jacking point closest to the wheel you’re removing. Extend the jack until the car just begins to lift, but no further. Then slacken the wheel nuts with the wrench, removing, if fitted, the locking wheel nuts first.

step six

Now extend the jack further until the wheel is just clear of the ground, remove the wheel nuts – the top one last – then lift the old wheel away from the car.

step seven

Lift the new wheel into place and replace the nuts – the top one first. Attach all the nuts and tighten each with your fingers first.

step eight

Slowly lower your car until it touches the ground, then tighten the nuts fully with the wrench.

step nine

Check the new tire’s pressure as soon as possible and replace your spare.

Warning

1. Remember that road-holding depends also on the correct tire pressure.
    2. The tyre overheats when the pressure is too low, which can cause it serious damage.
    3. Do not cross-switch the tyres, moving them from the right of the car to the left and vice versa.
    4. Never submit alloy rims to repainting treatments requiring temperatures exceeding 150C. The mechanical properties of the wheels could be impaired.
    These diagrams are supplemental to, and should be read in conjunction with, the instructions in your vehicle handbook.

2. Total Comments 1

Comments

Thanks
    I had to help my mom change a tire once. I wish I had had this guide with me.

Similar Articles

1. Re: Engine change-help needed
    By Fiat Forever in forum FIAT Europe
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 02:14 AM
  2. Re: Engine change-help needed
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
  3. Re: Engine change-help needed